The number one reason most people hire a personal trainer is because they want to lose weight. This is also true with my clientele. Therefore, I’ve outlined what I think are the best 9 guidelines for weight loss that will be healthy, realistic, and permanent.
1. Drink Water – gradually increase your water intake to half of your body weight in ounces of water per day. For example, if you weigh 150lbs, then your optimal total daily water intake should be 75 ounces. Build up to this over a couple of weeks. **Note: drink filtered water to avoid the added chlorine and other chemicals in tap water. Carbon filtrated water is best.
2. Eat a Healthy Breakfast Daily – after fasting for 6-8 hours during sleep, the body needs fuel. Also, if you skip breakfast, your body will enter starvation mode and in turn, slow down your metabolism. This is your body’s way of conserving energy because it does not know when the next meal will come. Eating breakfast is critical if you want to lose weight and keep weight off.
3. Eliminate Dairy-This includes ALL dairy – milk, cheese, creams, yogurt, butter, ice cream, sour cream, etc. If you think it’s dairy, it probably is! Think of dairy as LIQUID MEAT. All dairy contains disease promoting, calories that are lacking nutrition and loaded with saturated fat.
4. Avoid Processed Foods, Refined Foods – these types of foods include all things WHITE. If it’s white, it’s probably processed or refined. Some examples include, white rice, white flour, white pasta, and white bread.
5. Eliminate Meat, Chicken, Eggs and Fish – or if you are not quite ready to go completely plant-based and wish to transition more slowly, try cutting animal foods down to 10% of your calories. This is a great place to start.
6. Go “Oil-less”, NO Oils – this includes olive oil, coconut oil, and canola oil. It even means all those fancy oils you might find in the oil aisle of the health food store. All oils are 120 calories per tablespoon and over 10 grams of fat. Oils are highly refined and low in nutrients. Make sure to avoid baked goods with added oils, salad dressings with oils and absolutely do not cook with oil.
7. Plant-Based Food Variety – nourish yourself with a variety of healthy, colorful fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds. **Note: nuts should not roasted or salted as those usually contain added oils. Also, limit nuts to a small handful a day when trying to lose weight because they are high in fat.
8. Exercise – do cardiovascular exercise for 45-60 minutes, 5-6 days a week at your target heart rate. Additionally, it is best to do some strength training 2-3 times per week. Even with a perfect diet, you still need to exercise to be healthy. You will feel better for doing so too.
9. Minimize or Eliminate Alcohol – the occasional night out on the town is okay for a glass of wine or cocktail, however, pounding back 4-12 drinks like the average college student won’t get you anywhere with weight loss and sustaining your weight loss. The calories in alcohol are astronomical, and when you start drinking, you really lose count! If you can’t eliminate alcohol from your diet then make it a rare treat.
While you may not have overnight success with these 9 weight loss guidelines, you can still eventually achieve all of the above noted practices. If you strictly adhere to the guidelines I have put forth, rarely ever deviating, you should easily lose weight, healthily, realistically, and permanently.
Do you think you can follow the guidelines?